Confessions of a Foodie

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, January 25, 2013

Now, Eat Your Veggies!

I have to admit, I love veggies.

There, I said it. And while I do tend to favor some of them more than others, I'm willing to give most veggies a try at least once. Who knows where one's next favorite will come from?

If you're like me, I think you'll find these a nice variety to get you started. And not to worry: I'll post more in the future.

Baked Butter Carrots

These are from my Grandma Hallock, who was a fantastic cook. She wrote, “Good with Veal Birds (Beef Rolls).” Eat & enjoy!

2 1/2 lbs. carrots

2 T oleo or butter

dash of pepper

1 T salt

1 1/2 tsp. sugar

2 tsp. lemon juice

Peel carrots. Cut into lengthwise slices. Put them & rest of ingredients into casserole. Cover & bake at 275 degrees for 3 hours. Uncover & brown on top for 15 minutes. Serves 6.

Sweet Potato Soufflé

My mom’s recipe. Really good with baked ham.

4-5 sweet potatoes

1 small can pineapple

2 T orange juice concentrate

cinnamon

1/2 C brown sugar

1 egg

1 C nuts

1/2 tsp. salt

dash pepper

9 large marshmallows

Peel & dice sweet potatoes, place in pan of water, and cook until tender. Mash & add other ingredients except marshmallows. Put in square pan, cut in 9 squares & place 1 marshmallow in each square. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Onion Supreme

My dad came for a week at Christmas, 1987. He fixed this to go with Christmas dinner, along with several other veggies. The day I drove him to Tampa International to fly back to New York, we went for coffee at a shop in the airport. When I asked for a copy of this, he grabbed a paper napkin and wrote down the recipe. It’s a great way to fix onions; I’ve always had onions in things, but never as a side dish. However, this is incredibly easy, as well as fantastic.

2 leeks (discard green), sliced thin

4 bunches scallions (discard green), sliced thin

2 cloves garlic, sliced thin

3-4 yellow onions, sliced thin

1 stick butter or margarine

20 small white onions

1 1/2 C half & half

Melt butter over low heat & sauté leeks, scallions, garlic & yellow onions for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook white onions in enough water to just barely cover. Add white onions (after 45 minutes) to skillet & pour in half & half. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes more & serve.

Jason’s Home Fries

This is another of J’s inventions. He fixed this on one of his many trips back home.

3-4 potatoes, scrubbed, not peeled

3-4 T butter or oil (or both)

1 pepper (red, green or yellow), diced

1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced (optional)

Cut potatoes across (not length-wise). Heat oil or butter. Add potatoes, onions, pepper & garlic. Cover, cook over medium heat, turning occasionally with a spatula, until brown & crusty.

Jean’s Special Potatoes

Jean and I used to spend many hours on the phone together. One afternoon, we spent the better part of 30 minutes talking about food. I told her about Dad’s Onion Supreme; she, in turn, gave me this recipe.

8-10 potatoes

8 oz. cream cheese

8 oz. sour cream

1/2 C butter

2 tsp. chives

Peel & cook potatoes. Whip cream cheese & add potatoes. Mix sour cream, butter & chives. Add to potato mix. Cover & chill overnight (or several hours). Put in greased 2-quart casserole & cover; bake in oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment