Confessions of a Foodie

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, January 14, 2013

They'll Never Know It's Vegetarian Lasagna

I’d been making lasagna for years, using a favorite cookbook. One year, my oldest son took the same recipe, and replaced the meat with eggplant. His came out tasting so much better better than when I made it.

I tried recreating the eggplant version, but it never quite came out the same. So, I changed the recipe drastically, getting rid of some ingredients (most notably meat), adding others (tofu crumbles), and changing amounts where I felt the changes were needed.

True story: Years ago, a coworker thought I was wonderful, while I found him nice but definitely not my type. While we both had pleasant enough conversations over coffee, it was not something I wanted to pursue.

One afternoon, a group of us were talking about food; he mentioned he absolutely loved lasagna. I made a mental note of that, thinking, Next time I'm planning that, I'm soooo not telling him.

A few weeks later, I decided to take a rare day off and started making a huge pan of - you guessed it - vegetarian lasagna. Just before I put it in the oven, the phone rang; it was you-know-who, telling me he missed running into me at work.

About this time, my youngest came into the kitchen and said (loud enough for my coworker to hear), "So you're getting ready to put the lasagna into the oven, right?" The guy immediately stated that he was on his way over.

That evening, the guy ate two helpings of the stuff. (He was a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy; a meal without meat, to him, was nothing short of sacrilege!) The next morning, when I ran into him, he enthused, "That was the best lasagna ever! How much meat did you use?" I told him none. He continued, "Okay, no red meat. Ground turkey?"

I told him it was tofu crumbles.

"What's that?" he asked. When I told him, he looked at me aghast, and asked, "What are you, some kind of vegetarian?" He immediately decided I was not the right person for him. Go figure...

Tomato sauce:

2-3 onions, chopped

3-5 cloves garlic, minced

28 oz. can tomatoes

2-8 oz. cans tomato sauce

2-6 oz. cans tomato paste

2 T olive oil

1 T oregano

1 tsp. basil

1 tsp. thyme

1 tsp. dill

1 tsp. anise

1 or 2-10 oz. package tofu crumbles

Brown onions & garlic in oil. Add remaining ingredients, stir well, simmer for 1 hour. While sauce is cooking, in a separate pot, cook 16 oz. lasagna noodles & make cheese layer.

Cheese layer:

2 C sour cream

2 C cottage cheese

2 eggs

4 C mozzarella, grated

2 C cheddar cheese, grated

1 C Parmesan cheese

Mix ingredients together in large bowl.

Assemble:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In 9" X 13" pan, place half the cooked lasagna noodles length-wise. Top with half the cheese mixture, then half the tomato sauce. Repeat. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before cutting, as it tends to be a little runny when it first comes out of the oven. Serve with a salad and a loaf of hot Italian bread. Very yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment